Skinny Witch vs. Chubby Fairy
What our poll shows about the assumptions women hold…
Heavy women are pegged as…
- “lazy” 11 times as often as thin women;
- “sloppy” nine times;
- “undisciplined” seven times;
- “slow” six times as often.
While thin women are seen as…
- “conceited” or “superficial” about eight times as often as heavy women;
- “vain” or “self-centered” four times as often;
- “bitchy,” “mean,” or “controlling” more than twice as often.
Even the “good” labels are unfair. An overweight woman may be five times as likely to be perceived as “giving” as a skinny one.
“But it just fits into the stereotype that thin women are not that way,” explains Ann Kearney-Cooke, Ph.D. “It’s still putting women in a box based on their body size.”
As long as their not Creepy Camera Dude, they’re A-Ok with me!
We all go to the gym for different reasons and with different goals. There are stereotypes for everyone at the gym, and just because they fit the ‘type’, doesn’t mean they’re a bad person (some of you will certainly have rolled your eyes at a few of these guys).
Fir Sugar put together a list of 10 Gym Guy Stereotypes that you might see at the gym. You might not have caught them all in action, but you”ll recognize a few of these ‘types’ for sure. :)
Excerpt from Fit Sugar