I am surprised by how much sex I have had in my life that I didn’t want to have. Not exactly what’s considered “real” rape, or “date” rape, although...”
I did this. Because I am a girl. If you’re a girl (or a girl respecting fella), I urge you to hop on board too.
Because I am a Girl is Plan’s campaign to fight gender inequality, promote girls’ rights and lift millions of girls out of poverty.
Across the world, girls face double discrimination due to their gender and age, leaving them at the bottom of the social ladder.
Research has shown that girls are more likely to suffer from malnutrition; be forced into an early marriage; be subject to violence or intimidation; be trafficked, sold or coerced into the sex trade; or become infected with HIV.
Plan is producing one girl report each year in the run up to 2015, the target year for the Millennium Development Goals. Each report provides tangible proof of the inequalities that still exist between boys and girls.
Join our campaign and help us transform the lives of the world’s poorest girls.
I made my donation via text message. Text HOPE to 30333 to donate $5 to the cause.
How else can you get involved?
1. Sign the petitionTell the UN to declare 22 September International Day of the Girl.
2. Social mediaFollow us on Facebook, Twitter, Hyves and MySpace.
3. Make a donationGive to Plan’s girls fund and help make a difference.
4. Sponsor a girlSupport Plan’s long-term development work by sponsoring a girl in a developing country.
5. Sign up for newsSubscribe to our newsletter for the latest campaign news and action alerts.