Substitute: Baked zucchini slices for noodles. Make the lasagna as you normally would, replacing lasagna noodles with the baked zucchini. You want them firm, not crisp. - Lise Battaglia
Carbs Eliminated: 36 g per serving
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
- 1 teaspoon flour
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- Sprinkle seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme) evenly on zucchini strips, place them in a single layer on a nonstick cookie sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, brown meat and onions until onions are tender; drain fat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, water & pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In a separate small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Calories 261.0 Total Fat 11.6 g Sodium 630.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g Dietary Fiber 3.4 g Sugars 10.5 g Protein 24.4 g