Mmmmm… doesn’t that look yummy?
Grilled fruit is a fancy way to keep BBQ time healthy, delicious & fun. They’re a versatile way to stand out and shake things up. Plus, you can serve them in desserts or as a side or as a part of a main course. The sky’s the limit!
Because grilling fruit is different than grilling veggies or grilling meat, here are a few tips that will help you keep it yummy, healthy & as easy as possible. PLUS 2 of my favorite grilled fruit recipes.
Tips for grilling fruit…
So now that you’ve got the basics, give these recipes a try! (I didn’t add it here, but I’m also a big fan of grilled bananas, with a little dark chocolate drizzle for dessert).
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
- 1/4 c. fresh, natural orange juice
- 1/4 c. club soda
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey or 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp. Oriental sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 med. red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 ripe medium pineapple, peeled and cut into 1 inch squared chunks.
- 1 navel orange, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1. In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, club soda, soy sauce, honey (agave), sesame oil and ginger. Stir in the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare the grill or preheat the broiler.
3. On skewers, alternate pieces of onion, chicken, pepper, pineapple and folded orange slices. Grill or broil until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side. Serves 4.
Grilled Stuffed Peaches
- 4 large peaches
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (or freeze fresh berries for an hour or two - unfrozen berries may cook too fast)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
* Serves 4
Wash and halve peaches. Remove pit. Place peaches on aluminum foil so that you can fold up the foil and seal the peaches in. Spoon 2 tablespoons of berries into each peach half. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of agave syrup on each and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Fold up foil and seal. Place on hot grill and cook for 15-18 minutes Turn once. Remove from foil & top with 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt. Serve warm.